Application Requirements and Materials
It is simple to apply for Gies Online!
View the Admissions Checklist.
View Admissions help videos.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The recommended GPA for admission is a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent). Though recommended, we do review applications holistically and consider work experience, positive references, and a strong personal statement as indicators of future success as well.
- All required application materials
- Minimum of 3 years full-time, rich work experience
Graduate College application: All the steps below must be completed online through the Graduate College application.
Academic Credentials: Applicants must upload their academic credentials as required by the Graduate College. For the application review process, applicants do not need to submit official academic credentials; unofficial or scanned credentials are acceptable. If admitted, however, you will be required to submit official academic credentials. When uploading your academic credentials, please keep the following in mind:
- Credential evaluations (such as WES or ECE) are not accepted.
- Uploaded credentials must include applicant’s name, institution name, and a transcript legend, grade scale, or grade criteria.
- For international degrees, you must include the certificate of degree. If the credentials were originally in a language other than English, credentials in native language and English must be uploaded.
- If you have not yet completed your undergraduate degree at the time of application, we will review your application based on the in-progress unofficial transcripts you have uploaded.
Resume: Your professional resume should include personal information (name, address, telephone number, and email address), educational background, work experience (start and end dates for each position and a brief description of responsibilities), internship experience, educational training, professional associations, and leadership experiences. Technical resumes are not required. Please limit your resume to two pages.
Personal statement/essay: Your personal statement should be 750 to 1000 words and double-spaced. This is an opportunity to tell the admissions committee more about your story and should not be a re-telling of your resume. You should specifically answer the following questions in essay format:
- How your personal background and experiences have influenced your decision to pursue the iMBA program. Tell us your story (but don’t just repeat your resume!).
- Why you feel that you are an ideal fit for Gies Online Programs.
References: Two letters of reference are required. At least one letter should be a professional reference from a current or former supervisor. Once you enter their information into the online application, your recommenders will be notified to submit a letter of reference or complete a brief online information form. Letters of reference can be received after an application is submitted. Letters must come directly from the recommender, letters submitted by the applicant are not accepted.
English proficiency scores (international students only): If you are a non-native English speaker, you will need to upload your TOEFL or IELTS scores directly to your application. Review the Graduate College’s English proficiency requirements for more details on possible exemptions.
GMAT or GRE score (optional): The GMAT or GRE is not required for the application, but you are welcome to submit scores to supplement your application. Unofficial scores can be loaded into your application, but your official GMAT scores must be sent directly to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Institution Code – 1836.
Optional essay: You can use this to address any concerns you may have with your application profile. Additionally, if there is something you would like to highlight that you have been unable to discuss in other areas of the application, you can do so in this essay.
Gies Online Coursera Scholarship application essay: Gies College of Business and Coursera have partnered to offer a limited number of need-based scholarships covering 70% of tuition for qualified students. All students who plan on enrolling in August 2021 or later are eligible to apply. Recipients will be selected based on need, academic standing, and essay submissions. To apply, indicate your interest in the application and upload your essay with your application. Essay submissions must be received with the application for full consideration for the scholarship.
Forte Scholarship application essay: Gies College of Business has partnered with the Forte Foundation to provide the Forte Foundation Scholarship to one newly admitted female iMBA student per enrollment cycle. The scholarship is $20,000, awarded throughout the duration of the program. To apply, indicate your interest in the application and upload your essay with your application. Essay submissions must be received with the application for full consideration for the scholarship.
Transfer Request Form: Requests for transfer credits will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed even if the following criteria are met. A maximum of 12 credit hours can be transferred. Transfer requests must be submitted with the application.
- School must be an AACSB accredited institution.
- Course(s) must have been completed within the past 4 years.
- Course(s) must not have been used towards any other degree.
- Course(s) must have been taken at the graduate level.
- Student must have earned an A- or better.
Ready to start your application?